This report covers March 18, 2021 to April 20, 2021.
On our way, cruising the V2 road!
We got a few questions about the availability of the V2 nodes and V2 launch.
The thing is, we already are post V2 launch. V2 nodes are running since months in various places, including on production machines, and as Hypernode or wallet server companion nodes.
V2 nodes are stable and working fine. Code is already public on Github, and all we need now is the proper documentation and helpers to have everyone update as they wish. Remember: there is no hard fork, compatibility is kept, there is no hard date to force upgrade so far.
Current Hypernodes ROI is 19.5%, up from 18.4% in March. We count 231 active Hypernodes with a total amount of active collateral of 6,470,000 BIS. That’s a decrease of 16 active node since the last report.
The plot below shows all Hypernodes, both active and inactive, during the last 60 days. As can be seen from the plot, the number of Hypernodes is currently at 15, down by 16 nodes since the last report.
The plot below shows the total Hypernode collateral, both active and inactive, during the last 60 days. As can be seen, the total amount of collateral has fallen to 8,480,000 during this period. The total amount of BIS in circulation is 27,67 million. Hence, the amount of active collateral accounts for 23.7% of the total supply, or 30.6% if the amount of inactive collateral is included, which are reductions of about 1.5 percentage points from last month.
Quite some work has been done on the Tornado Wallet.
Some just cosmetic, like updating the logo, and other more helpful, like the ability to import ECDSA private key or import very, very old style “privkey.der” wallets.
A new important crystal also has been developed and is now finalized. More on that subject below.
Update to that core module, in order to support a new feature that was most needed for everyone taking care of its opsec. A proper dedicated post will tell more and give practical uses for that new and awesome feature.
Bismuth Mobile Wallet
In case you missed it, there was a mandatory upgrade for the Bismuth Android Wallet. A follow up will be posted in the upcoming weeks.
We can also say that RedDwarf is working on a – yet – new version of the mobile wallet, with a new feature…
Media and news
Egg wrote an article about Python and state machines (here)
A reminder of the free programming ebooks you could have for free by following the dev discord channel or our twitter:
- A free video course: “Machine learning, real-world projects in Python
- Free Ebook “Hands-On RESTful #Python Web Services”
- Free ebook “Mastering Python Design Patterns”: Exploit various design patterns to master the art of solving problems using Python
- Free ebook “Python Fundamentals”: With an interesting mix of theory and practicals, explore Python and its features, and progress from beginner to being skilled in this popular scripting language.
Python packages and info you may like
- Simple examples of how to get system and hardware info with Python. May be useful for VPS and node monitoring 😉 https://pyshark.com/system-and-hardware-information-using-python/ Other interesting posts on the same blog.
- Interesting survey results from Jetbrains, the editor behind Pycharm, about Python developers here
Most of the work over this report time was to release the official ETH bridge.
Along the way, the whole architecture has been refactored in order to reinforce the decentralization and safety of the bridge. This required more work and delayed other work, but the end result is way more satisfying.
The new architecture relies on on-chain data, thanks to Bismuth custom operation/data fields, and involves a dedicated protocol. It also makes use of an ETH oracle, that posts ETH events of interest to Bis chain.
So, for once we now have a working Oracle on Bismuth, but also a decentralized bridge that operates with no central server and no online signer: operational keys are safer.
Excerpt from the Discord:
In an effort to generalize and make full use of the Bis capabilities, the whole bridge is being rewritten since several days.
The final service will make use of core bismuth features and also serves as showcase,
plus be more easily derived for other possible bridges.
- Definition of a new Bismuth Abstract protocol, thanks to Bis “operation” field.
- New Tornado Wallet Crystal: The bridge is right in your wallet, blending your BIS and ETH addresses.
- ETH Oracle, inserting ETH events of interest onto Bismuth core chain
Get ready for announcement, guide and how-to!